slscart Blog Administration
Starting with version 10.4.0, blogging capabilities are present in slscart. These are notes about how blogging works from an administrator's perspective. Some features may have been added in later versions.
To enable the blog, go into Site Extras > Blog and activate Blog.
See blog store for documentation on the blog from a customer's perspective.
Use this area to manage the blog and blog entries.
- Adding Blog Entries: To add a new blog entry, select the 'Add' button, then enter all the fields needed for the entry.
- Editing Blog Entries: To edit a bog entry, select the 'Edit' link next to the article you wish to modify, and enter all the fields needed for that article.
- Deleting Blog Entries: To delete an article, select the 'Delete' link next to the entry you wish to remove, and confirm the deletion of that article.
- Activate Blog Entries: To activate a blog entry click 'Activate' button. To deactivate a blog entry, click 'Deactivate' button.
- Ordering Blog Entries: Blog entries are ordered chronologically with the newest one appearing first.
- Add Category: Add a blog category. Click on dropdown '-- Add New --' and type in category then click 'Add Cat' button.
- Delete Category: Delete a blog category. Choose a blog category then click 'Delete Cat' button.
- Rename Category: Rename a blog category
- Show Post Dates: If checked, the posted dates will be displayed on store's blog homepage.
- Enable blog search bar
- List categories horizontally (unchecked is vertically)
- Only display 'View All' link. If checked, only the newest blog entries are shown (amount determined by 'Set Entries per Page') and a View All link. If unchecked, up to Set Entries per Page blog entries are shown. If more exist, then page navigation links are displayed.
- Enable Comments: Commenting for the blog can be turned on or off. If disabled, existing comments are not deleted or displayed, and will appear again if commenting is reenabled.
- Sign in required for commenting: Whether adding a comment requires an account and to be signed in.
- Set Entries per Page: Sets number of blog entries per page. Default is 20.
- Pages Text: Sets the text displayed for the pages heading on the blog home page. Default is 'Pages'.
A blog page has no comments, no displayed post date, and no category. Pages reside first on the blog home page.
- Adding a Blog Page: To add a new blog page, select the 'Add' button, then enter all the fields needed for the entry.
- Editing a Blog Page: To edit a bog page, select the 'Edit' link next to the page you wish to modify.
- Deleting a Blog Page: To delete a blog page, select the 'Delete' link next to the page you wish to remove, and confirm the deletion of that page.
- Activate Blog Pages: To activate a blog page click 'Activate' button. To deactivate a blog page, click 'Deactivate' button.
- Ordering Blog Pages: Blog pages are displayed in the order shown on the blog admin page. A blog page can be moved up or down by grabbing the = bar and dragging it to the desired location.
- Contents: Set title of blog, add content to the blog (shows up before the list of blog entries).
- Activate/Deactivate: Blog can be activated or deactivated. Deactivation will not erase anything.
- Delete Cmt: Delete a specific comment for a specific blog entry.
- Delete User: Delete user's account.
- List Users: shows all users with pertinent account information.
- Activate Cmt: Choose a comment to activate. Only shows inactive ones.
- Activate User: Activate user.
Q: How do I add a header image to the top of my blog?
There are two ways to do this:
1. If your template has %PAGE_TITLE% in it, then in Web Site > Pages > blog a header image can be uploaded. The image uses the Page Title: as its alt text. And, since %PAGE_TITLE% is used, the page's Page Title: contents will appear on every page. Also, the %PAGE_TITLE% can be surrounded by the <h1> tag. The image's alt text will be used for the page's H1 (from a search engine point of view).
2. If not using %PAGE_TITLE% then a blog header image can be put in the blog page's Content: field as the first thing. When adding the image, the alt text, named Image description, can be entered. Below the image the text for H1 can be entered, along with a short description of what the blog is about.
Q: How do I add a blog title, image, and a paragraph on what the blog is about at the blog's home page?
Go to the blog page in storeadmin > Site Extras > Blog and click on 'Contents' link (at the bottom). This brings you to the blog page. All the verbiage ented in Content: field will show up at the top of your blog home page.